RAP Europe prepared this advisory note to help frame the issues to be addressed in developing European guidelines and codes on electricity balancing. In particular, it highlights the need for these rules to enable and encourage:
- Balancing products and services with the necessary flexible, dynamic capabilities,
- Balancing actions across all timescales: market, operational and investment,
- An “equitable” approach to imbalance charging, noting the particular circumstances faced by intermittent renewables,
- Balancing over wider geographic areas, and
- Tapping the strategic benefits of allocating interconnector capacity for balancing.
Specific recommendations are also provided with reference to the draft Framework Guidelines on Electricity Balancing recently issued by the Agency for Cooperation of European Regulators.