In this webinar, Keith Dennis of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA), along with Ken Colburn and Jim Lazar of RAP, explore environmentally beneficial electrification—the electrification of energy end uses, such as space heating, water heating, and transportation. With a focus on “emissions efficiency,” rather than just on conventional energy conservation, beneficial electrification can play a pivotal role in helping the U.S. and the world meet greenhouse gas reduction goals. The presenters examine:
- The concepts behind environmentally beneficial electrification and “emissions efficiency” (or “emiciency”);
- The role environmentally beneficial electrification can play in meeting greenhouse gas goals;
- The need for new metrics to evaluate energy projects;
- The role of policy in environmentally beneficial electrification;
- Interaction between the Clean Power Plan and environmentally beneficial electrification;
- What steps can be taken now with “no regrets”; and
- Key takeaways for industry and regulators.
The webinar is based on the speakers’ recent article, Environmentally Beneficial Electrification: The Dawn of ‘Emissions Efficiency’ in The Electricity Journal.